> Beef short ribs (4 large, 6-7 small)
> 2 cups of red wine, on the dry side
> 1 cup of beef stock
> 2-3 slices of bacon
> ¼ cup of chopped onion
> black pepper
> 1 tsp garlic
> 2 bay leaves
1. Take your bacon, slice it up, and throw it into a frying pan. I used the same pack of bacon that I keep frozen for my “taste” cooking, where I just chop off an inch and a half and use that for flavoring a dish. Two or three slices chopped up should do the trick, you need fat to fry the ribs in.
2. Put 1¾ cups of the red wine, one cup of beef broth and two bay leaves in the crock pot and start it warming. You can also braise these in the oven for 2-3 hours, but I don’t ever have 3 hours to sit at home waiting for something. The crock pot takes a good 5-6 hours on high (I did 8 hours on low temp and these literally melted in my mouth they were so tender).
3. Sprinkle the garlic and pepper on the ribs.
4. Cover the ribs in flour like this…
5. then fry them up it the bacon grease until they are browned on the outside.
6. Place them in the crock pot.
7. Take your onions, and quickly fry them up in the leftover grease in the pan.
8. Once they are cooked, take that last ¼ cup of wine and use it to deglaze the pan and get all the good brown stuff off the bottom.
9. Once that is done, throw the mixture into the crockpot. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
10. The meat will fall right off the bone when done properly. These are amazing with mashed potatoes, rice, just about anything you can think of.