Rich, fudgy M&M brownies, layered with chocolate mousse, more M&M’s and real whipped cream.
As promised, here is the recipe that I whipped up for my stint at the Edmonton Home & Garden show – one of them, the second will come later this week- and what a recipe it is. I love a good trifle, mainly because they are incredibly forgiving when it comes to assembling them, they are better when made a day or two before an event/supper and they are beauteous to behold.
Two things that I simply cannot budge on when it comes to trifles however is that I hate chocolate pudding in them and it must be real whipped cream. Not that you can’t use them, I just suggest that you don’t. I really don’t like the boxed chocolate pudding, the flavor and texture is just all wrong to me. Using Cool Whip – which does serve a purpose now and then- when you are baking up a decadent brownie and making a real chocolate mousse seems….well, sacrilegious to some extent.
This trifle deserves all homemade ingredients from start to finish. Trust me, it’s worth it in the end!
A few notes about this recipe:
– The M&M’s in the whipped cream will leach out color, which I personally love. The whipped cream becomes all colored and dreamy. IF however, your Type A personality just can’t handle it, then perhaps you might have to serve this ASAP.
– You can use any candies you like. For Easter, I would use the pastel Easter M&M’s between the layers for a gorgeous Easter palette.
– You can save candies for the top layer of whipped cream, I chose to leave mine plain.
Happy baking everyone!
Once More Home & Garden Show Today Then It’s Spring Break For The Whole Family! Magpie
- Brownie Layer:
- 1½ cups of white sugar
- ¾ cup of flour
- ¾ cup of cocoa
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup of butter
- 1 M package &M baking pieces
- Chocolate Mousse Layer
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz chocolate of choice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream – to fold in later
- Whipped Cream Layer
- 2 1/2 cups of whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- For The Brownie Layer:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Remove
- and stir in the white sugar until dissolved.
- Mix in the cocoa until thoroughly combined.
- Add in your eggs and mix it very well.
- Stir in the flour gently until it it just combined, do not over mix.
- Add half the bag of M&M's and mix in.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until
- the brownie batter is cooked.
- Cool and slice into one inch squares.
- For The Chocolate Mousse Layer:
- Melt your chocolate and whipping cream together in a thick pot on the
- stove over medium-low heat.
- Beat the egg yolks until creamy yellow.
- Add some of the warm chocolate mixture to the egg yolks to temper
- them, mixing quickly and thoroughly.
- Add the tempered egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and whisk the
- ingredients together.
- Cook over medium-low heat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixture
- has thickened.
- Set aside and cool.
- Once cooled, pour the whipping cream into a bowl and beat with the
- whisk attachment until soft peaks form
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooked chocolate mixture until
- combined completely.
- For The Whipped Cream Layer:
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat the whipped
- cream with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the trifle, start with a layer of brownies filling the
- bottom of the trifle bowl. Sprinkle a third of the remaining M&M's on
- top of the brownies, allowing them to settle in the cracks. Add a
- layer of chocolate mousse, then whipped cream. Repeat, ending with
- whipped cream on top. Refrigerate overnight and serve.