Day 7 brings you shortbread. Whipped shortbread, to be exact. I’ve been posting while baking and had a couple of requests for the recipe. I could point you towards my archives, but instead I’ll give you this:
And then I’ll give you this:
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ cup of margarine
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- 1½ cups of flour
- Whip the margarine, butter and icing sugar together well. You can use all butter for sure, don’t get me wrong, and then it is a shortbread for the purist. I like it half and half.
- Once it looks all deliciously creamy, resist from eating it by the spoonful, and get your flour ready.
- Start the beaters, and slowly add in the flour, until it has all been added in.
- Then you can proceed to let your mixer do all the work for you and whip it for about 5-6 minutes. You are wanting lighter than air shortbread here.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and add whatever you want on top.I usually just go for a piece of cherry, but sprinkles are excellent as well.
- The batter is perfect for cookie presses as well, I have had fantastic luck using this recipe. Just whip it about half the time to give them more density to hold the shape, otherwise they just break off in little air puff pieces.
- Bake them in a 250 degree oven for about half an hour, you want to dry out shortbread in essence, not bake it, thus the low temperature.
And then I will confess that I have eaten 8 shortbread cookies this morning. I will shortly fall into a cookie coma, so I cannot type much longer.
Tomorrow shall be my day of rest, in theory. I am shopping with a friend, having lunch and basically not doing a single thing that has to do with cleaning my house or baking Christmas goodies. This is happy. This is exciting. This is much needed after the last two weeks of either being sick myself or taking care of sick kids.
Happy Wednesday everyone!
The Cookie Coma Magpie