Whole Wheat Hermit Cookies
Author: Karlynn Johnston
Recipe type: cookies,dessert
- 1/2 cup of margarine (I used light)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1.2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup sour milk
- 1 cup of raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- Boil your raisins in some water to plump them up.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Combine and whisk together the dry ingredients
- Add to the sugar mixture, combine, then add in your raisins and dates. Mix again. Next time, I will add in another 1/4 cup of chopped dates at least, to make them sweeter and add more iron to them.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet. If you want them flatter, slightly press them down. I like mine cakey little drops.
- Bake at 350 until browned.
Recipe by The Kitchen Magpie at http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/whole-wheat-hermit-cookies