Split Pea & Ham Soup
Author: Karlynn Johnston
Recipe type: soup
- 1 450 gram bag of peas, which is 2¼ cups
- 1 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 heaping cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 4 tbsp chicken stock, loose stock in the can
- 6-8 cups of water
- 6-7 slices of back bacon
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Start by deciding whether this is a stove top or a crockpot recipe.
- Dice up the back bacon.
- Give the split peas a good rinse in a colander, then put everything in your pot, peas, celery, onions, carrots and bay leaves.
- Mix your stock into hot water.
- Once that is done, add it to the pot and stir it in. Add another two cups of water at this point and start cooking!
- Cook on the stove/crockpot until the peas are soft and have fallen apart.
Recipe by The Kitchen Magpie at http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/split-pea-ham-soup/