Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Author: Karlynn Johnston
Recipe type: dinner
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 onion, diced (if you like onion in them)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Mix the brown sugar, soy,vinegar, water and ketchup in a pot.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, egg and ground beef together in a bowl.
- Roll the meat mixture into meatballs, whichever size you want. I prefer slightly larger ones, they don’t dry out as quickly.
- Pop them into the 375 degrees oven and start them cooking.
- Mix your flour or cornstarch in cold water then whisk it into the sauce.
- After about 20 minutes, take the meatballs out for a second, and drain the fat out of them.
- Now you can cover those meatballs up with sauce.
- Finish cooking them until done, and they look oh-so saucy and delish like this!
- When cooking meatballs I like to insert a thermometer in them and make sure they have reached a temp of at least 165 degrees. With all the beef recalls lately, it’s far better safe than sorry!
- I love sweet and sour meatballs on rice, especially bad-for-you, white rice!
Recipe by The Kitchen Magpie at http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/sweet-and-sour-meatballs