Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Author: Karlynn Johnston
Recipe type: Dessert, Cake
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1½ cups hot brewed coffee
- 3 cups sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups well-shaken buttermilk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- Kick the tires and light the fires to 300 degrees.
- Get the chocolate and chop it up.
- Melt the chopped up chocolate in the hot coffee until it is completely dissolved and set aside.
- Whisk together your dry ingredients.
- Beat your eggs for 2-3 minutes, until they are thick and lemon colored. Time to add the oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Once those are in, add the coffee/chocolate mixture slowly.
- Then it’s time for the dry ingredients, dump them in and mix at a moderate speed until they are combined completely.
- Grease and parchment line your cake pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees until done.
Recipe by The Kitchen Magpie at http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/old-fashioned-chocolate-cake