To those of us in Alberta, a rare delicacy indeed, when the fruit trucks start rolling into town from British Columbia, bringing with them some of the best peaches around. The ones in the store just don’t cut it; I rarely find ones that aren’t woody or flavorless. There’s no use buying peaches until they are in season and the best ones are usually straight off the travelling fruit trucks. It’s as close as one can get to actually being in British Columbia and buying them straight from the orchard.
Peaches matched with blueberries make for a beautiful pie. The color is gorgeous, the deep purple seeps into the peaches making them delightfully pink and the flavor the peaches give to the blueberries – which can be almost tasteless from the store- is definitely needed.
Fear not, a full on peach pie is forthcoming, but I wanted to fool around with mixing and matching the past few weeks!
Ingredients for Blueberry Peach Pie
2 cups of blueberries
2 cups of peeled, sliced peaches
1/2 cup white sugar plus 1 tsp
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp flour
pie dough recipe for a 9 inch double crust
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of peeled, sliced peaches
- ½ cup white sugar plus 1 tsp
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp flour
- pie dough recipe for a 9 inch double crust
- Gently toss together your peaches,blueberries, flour and sugar.
- Place your bottom crust into the pie plate.
- Pour your berries into the pie plate. Add butter on top in little dabs.
- Cover with your crust.
- Brush your pie crust with the egg then sprinkle the teaspoon of sugar on top.
- Pinch the seams together and mark your pie vents as you like.
- Using the lowest rack of your oven, bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for about 50-55 minutes more.
- When your pie edges start to become too brown – and they always will- cover the edges with tinfoil or use a pie crust cover. I have one and they are amazing!
- Continue baking until you see the pie filling bubbling and your pie is beautifully browned all over the top.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
Summer Pies Rock My Socks Magpie